Exploring the Capital of Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal happens to be the major tourist attraction of Madhya Pradesh and that too for good reason. There are a lot of places to see and explore in Bhopal. It is the one stop perfect tourist destination for those who want to get a flavour of India and its rich past.
There are plenty of five star hotels in bhopal which makes staying in Bhopal really easy. The best time to visit the capital of Madhya Pradesh is during the winter months. This also happens to be the tourist season and hence if you plan to visit the city during this time of the year, make sure that you get your hotel and ticket booking done well before hand.
There are a lot of things that you can check out when in Bhopal. Here is a list of the places that you should visit when in the city:
- The Upper Lake and the Lower Lake: Bhopal is also often fondly referred to as the city of lakes because of the many number of lakes that are found in this city. Of these the most famous one is the Upper Lake. It is an artificial or manmade lake, constructed during the rule of Raja Bhoja. He is considered to be the founder of the city of Bhopal. Many years later, Chote Khan built another lake, which is today known as the Lower Lake. Both these two lakes together are referred to as the Bhoj Wetlands. You can enjoy water sports or a quiet time by the shores of the Upper Lake. It is a must visit for tourists with family and couples who are on their honeymoon.
- The Van Vihar National Park: If you are a nature lover then right in the heart of the city you will come across a paradise known as the Van Vihar National Park. It covers a huge area and is home to many rare species of animals and plants. You can actually spend an entire day roaming and exploring this national park. It has also been accorded the status of a medium sized zoo.
- The Bhojpur Temple: The Bhojpur Temple offers an excellent example of the past of Bhopal. Believed to have been partially constructed in the 11th century, this temple showcases an incomplete construction. It is the home to the largest Shiva Lingaand people from all over the country come here to pay homage.
- Taj-ul-Masjid: After the Jama Masjid in Delhi, the Taj-ul-Masjid is the largest mosque of the country. In fact, it is one of the largest mosques in Asia. The height of the minarets of this mosque is about 206 feet! The high ceilings and the beautifully carved walls make this mosque a treat for the eyes.
- Gohar Mahal: Bhopal has had a long line of female sultans who have ruled this city for a very long time. The first to officially ascend the throne was Gohar Begum and you can check out a beautiful architectural piece of her time by visiting the Gohar Mahal.
These are some of the places that you must visit if you want to explore Bhopal. This city truly is full of wonders that will no doubt quench your thirst for travelling.